Stonework & Scenic Forms
Most of today was spent on the layout, completing the stonework at the north end of the bridge and placing forms for the scenery.
Figuring out how to deal with the south end of the bridge (left in the above picture) still left a big question about how to handle what would be a very narrow creek flowing in from the north. The space is very narrow because of the decision to make the “end” of the layout match the modules, and I was left with an improbable scenic situation. The answer came in the form of adding another mill that will eventually wrap around the corner into the back area of the basement. A mill needs a dam and a spillway. In my world, the dam will be out in the aisle, with the track running between the resulting lake and the spillway. The mill itself will be across the spillway from the railroad main line.
With that decision made, it became obvious that more stonework would be required. Between taking the picture at left and writing this post, I added a couple of scenery forms at the end of the layout section, and added some base coloring to the stonework and the spillway.
For the landforms, I decided to go “traditional” — thin-shell plaster over formers. Where I’ll be deviating from the old-school techniques will be in some of the materials. I still need to keep the weight reasonable since Corinna still has to make two more public appearances.
In this instance, the formers will be thin chip-cardboard, and the thin-shell will be a layer of plaster cloth. Over the plaster cloth, I’ll apply a layer of cell-u-clay. Cell-u-clay is a paper mache product that is fairly lightweight, but handles a lot like plaster, except that it’s a little stickier.
Tomorrow, the plan is to start applying the thin-shell and cell-u-clay and finally install the trestle bents — they’ve still not be permanently attached.